Reach for the Stars, and Actually Reach Them
Perform engineering duties in designing, constructing, and testing aircraft, missiles, and spacecraft. May conduct basic and applied research to evaluate the adaptability of materials and equipment to aircraft design and manufacture. May recommend improvements in testing equipment and techniques.
Contact InfoGet in Touch
Related Job Titles
Aeronautical Engineer, Avionics Engineer, Flight Test Engineer, Test Engineer, Aerospace Engineer, Design Engineer, Structural Analysis Engineer, Aerospace Stress Engineer, Flight Controls Engineer, Systems Engineer
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (average)
What you Need to Know
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Physics — Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Analytical or scientific software — The MathWorks MATLAB; The MathWorks Simulink; Universal Technical Systems TK Solver; Wolfram Research Mathematica
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD; Dassault Systemes CATIA; Dassault Systemes SolidWorks; PTC Creo Parametric
- Development environment software — Ada; C; Microsoft Visual Basic; National Instruments LabVIEW
- Object or component oriented development software — C++; Oracle Java ; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl; Python
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license.