Find out how we are Alive
Study the chemical composition or physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena. May conduct research to further understanding of the complex chemical combinations and reactions involved in metabolism, reproduction, growth, and heredity. May determine the effects of foods, drugs, serums, hormones, and other substances on tissues and vital processes of living organisms.
Contact InfoGet in Touch
Related Job Titles
Analytical Research Chemist, Scientist, Biochemist, Principal Statistical Scientist, Biophysics Researcher, Research Scientist
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (much faster than average)
What you Need to Know
- Biology — Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Chemistry — Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics — Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Analytical or scientific software — IBM SPSS Statistics; Minitab; SAS; The MathWorks MATLAB
- Computer aided design CAD software — Accelrys Insight II; ChemInnovation Software Chem 4-D
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop; Graphics software; Microsoft Visio; Molecular Simulations WebLab ViewerPro
- Object or component oriented development software — Practical extraction and reporting language Perl; Python
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint