The Business of Giving, Helping, and Healing
Provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families and to maximize the family well-being and the academic functioning of children. May assist parents, arrange adoptions, and find foster homes for abandoned or abused children. In schools, they address such problems as teenage pregnancy, misbehavior, and truancy. May also advise teachers.
Contact InfoGet in Touch
Related Job Titles
Adoption Social Worker, Child Protective Services Social Worker (CPS Social Worker), Family Service Worker, Youth Services Specialist, Case Manager, Family Protection Specialist, Foster Care Social Worker, Case Worker, Family Resource Coordinator, School Social Worker
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (faster than average)
What you Need to Know
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology — Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling — Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical — Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Computer based training software — EasyCBM
- Data base user interface and query software — Microsoft Access; Student information systems SIS
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Medical software — Patient electronic medical record EMR software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.