Building on a Whole new Level
Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, and water and sewage systems.
Contact InfoGet in Touch
Related Job Titles
Bridge/Structure Inspection Team Leader, Civil Engineering Manager, Project Engineer, Traffic Engineer, City Engineer, County Engineer, Railroad Design Consultant, Civil Engineer, Design Engineer, Structural Engineer
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (slower than average)
What you Need to Know
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Building and Construction — Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Analytical or scientific software — Finite element analysis FEA software; HEC-HMS; Minitab ; The MathWorks MATLAB
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D; Autodesk Revit; Bentley MicroStation; Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Fireworks; Bentley GeoPak Bridge; SmugMug Flickr; Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software; ESRI ArcView; Geographic information system GIS software; Intergraph MGE
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.