Sometimes A World Needs Saving
Plan and direct disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural (e.g., hurricanes, floods, earthquakes), wartime, or technological (e.g., nuclear power plant emergencies or hazardous materials spills) disasters or hostage situations.
Contact InfoGet In Touch
Related Job Titles
Emergency Management Coordinator, Emergency Management System Director (EMS Director), Emergency Planner, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, Emergency Services Director, Public Safety Director
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
What you Need to Know
- Public Safety and Security — Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Law and Government — Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Communications and Media — Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Data base user interface and query software — Emergency Managers Weather Information Network EMWIN; Federal Emergency Management Information System FEMIS; Relational database software; SoftRisk Technologies SoftRisk SQL
- Map creation software — Digital Engineering Corporation E-MAPS; ESRI ArcGIS software; Geographic information system GIS software; MapInfo Professional
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Alert Technologies OpsCenter; Emergency Services Integrators ESi WebEOC; Microsoft SharePoint; National Center for Crisis and Continuity Coordination NC4 E Team
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.