Guide Others to Growth
Advise clients on financial plans using knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, insurance, pension plans, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, cash flow, insurance coverage, tax status, and financial objectives.
Contact InfoGet In Touch
Related Job Titles
Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Financial Advisor, Financial Consultant, Financial Counselor, Financial Planner, Investment Advisor, Portfolio Manager, Wealth Advisor
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (much faster than average)
What you Need to Know
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Economics and Accounting — Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Psychology — Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Customer relationship management CRM software — ACT! ACT4Advisors; Microsoft Business Contact Manager; Salesforce software; Web Information Solutions Pocket Informant
- Data base user interface and query software — FileMaker Pro; Microsoft Access; Microsoft SQL Server; Structured query language SQL
- Document management software — Cabinet NG CNG-SAFE; ScanSoft PaperPort Pro; SunGard LockBox; World Software Corporation Worldox
- Financial analysis software — Finance Logix Retirement Planner; Ibbotson Portfolio Strategist; Oracle E-Business Suite Financials; WealthTec Foundations
- Presentation software — Financial planning presentation software; Microsoft PowerPoint; MoneyTree Silver Financial Planner (presentation feature)
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license.