Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those engineers working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials. Includes metallurgists and metallurgical engineers, ceramic engineers, and welding engineers.
Contact Infoget in touch
Related Job Titles
Extrusion Engineer, Materials Development Engineer, Materials Engineer, Materials Research Engineer, Metallurgical Engineer, Metallurgist, Research Engineer, Test Engineer
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (average)
What you Need to Know
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Chemistry — Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Physics — Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Analytical or scientific software — ANSYS Multiphysics; Image analysis systems; Minitab; The MathWorks MATLAB
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD; Dassault Systemes CATIA; Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS; PTC Creo Parametric
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software; Microsoft Access; MTS Testworks; Oracle software
- Development environment software — Formula translation/translator FORTRAN; Microsoft Visual Basic; National Instruments LabVIEW
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.