Protecting, Serving, and Upholding the Law
Maintain order and protect life and property by enforcing local, tribal, state, or federal laws and ordinances. Perform a combination of the following duties: patrol a specific area; direct traffic; issue traffic summonses; investigate accidents; apprehend and arrest suspects, or serve legal processes of courts. Includes police officers working at educational institutions.
Contact InfoGet In Touch
Related Job Titles
Deputy, Deputy Sheriff, Law Enforcement Officer, Patrol Deputy, Patrol Officer, Peace Officer, Police Officer, Police Patrol Officer, Public Safety Officer, State Trooper
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
What you Need to Know
- Law and Government — Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security — Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology — Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Data base user interface and query software — Database software; Microsoft Access Hot technology ; National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database; Spillman Technologies Records Management
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook Hot technology
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Computer aided composite drawing software; DesignWare 3D EyeWitness; SmugMug Flickr; The CAD Zone The Crime Zone
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint Hot technology
- Spreadsheet software — IBM Lotus 1-2-3; Microsoft Excel Hot technology
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.