Theory and Practice of Psychological Support
Mental health is an integral component of our overall performance and well-being. This certificate program provides information on the theory and practice of supporting mental health and wellness through helping skills such as assessment, counseling, behavioral interventions, and other supportive and culturally responsive strategies
Contact InfoLearn More
Our certificate serves a broad array of professionals concerned with health and wellness for children, families, and the broader community. The certificate does not lead to a license or certification. It is ideal for students with prior undergraduate or graduate coursework in psychology or related fields, including School Psychology, Sport Leadership, Social Work, and Student Affairs.
Curriculum and Courses
This 4-course, 12-credit hour program is offered on the Oxford campus to current Miami University degree-seeking graduate students. Coursework may include online electives. Note (below) that certain elective courses may be restricted to particular degree seekers. Certificate students are encouraged to contact Amity Noltemeyer, Ph.D. in the Department of Educational Psychology to discuss their specific plan of study.
Two required courses (6 hours total)
- EDP 672 Helping Skills in Mental Health Intervention
- EDP 671 Counseling Theories
Pick two additional courses from this list (6 hours total)
- EDP 654 Counseling Practicum (School Psychology restriction)
- EDP 596 Behavioral Interventions: Theory, Principles, and Techniques
- EDP 662 Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Assessment
- FSW 688 Clinical interventions (Social Work restriction)
- FSW 668 Treatment of Substance Use Disorders (with instructor permission)
- SLM 633 Psychological Interventions in Sport
- FSW 591 Intro to Chemical Dependency (with instructor permission)
This certificate program is only available to current Miami graduate degree-seeking students. Miamians apply via our Graduate Certificate Form. Applicants will upload a copy of their undergraduate transcript.