Build Anything and Everything
Design chemical plant equipment and devise processes for manufacturing chemicals and products, such as gasoline, synthetic rubber, plastics, detergents, cement, paper, and pulp, by applying principles and technology of chemistry, physics, and engineering.
Contact InfoGet in Touch
RELATED JOB TITLES
Chemical Engineer, Development Engineer, Engineer, Engineering Scientist, Process Control Engineer, Process Engineer, Project Engineer, Refinery Process Engineer, Research Chemical Engineer, Scientist
Facts and Stats
Your career outlook is looking good – just like these stats.
Median wages (annual)
Projected job openings
Projected growth (much faster than average)
What you Need to Know
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Chemistry — Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics — Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Top Technology Requirements Included in Job Postings
- Analytical or scientific software — EPCON International CHEMPRO Engineering Suite; Minitab; Statistical software; The MathWorks MATLAB
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD; CD-adapco STAR-CAD; Dassault Systemes CATIA; PTC Creo Parametric
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software; Microsoft Access; Relational database software; Structured query language SQL
- Development environment software — C; Microsoft Visual Basic; National Instruments LabVIEW
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
Related Career Options
Explore careers that require similar skills.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license.